The Mandalorian Star Wars Movie Could Happen

Forum 3 years ago

The Mandalorian Star Wars Movie Could Happen

The possibility of The Mandalorian being brought to the big-screen in movie form is not off the table, according to showrunner Jon Favreau and star Pedro Pascal. After the disappointing box office performance and polarized fan reception to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the seminal Disney+ Star Wars series became something of a forerunner for the franchise, garnering near-universal acclaim. The second season premieres on Disney+ on Oct. 30.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/d0db984fae3c85aba294cbace7f3448a.jpg

After Disney’s first run of Star Wars theatrical releases met middling and inconsistent support from fans, the company is still figuring out their next steps when it comes to movies, with release dates set for 2023, 2025 and 2027. For now, Disney and Lucasfilm are focused instead on streaming content. The Mandalorian was the first step in that direction, and the show’s first season launched to massive success. Other forthcoming series like the Obi-Wan Kenobi show will look to capture that same level of mass appeal. With The Mandalorian now standing as the preeminent Star Wars property, curiosity has risen about where Mando's future adventures could take him.

In a new interview with Variety, Favreau and Pascal discussed that future, including the potential for a big-screen entry in the saga of Din Djarin. Favreau said he’s in “no rush” to go beyond The Mandalorian’s current model, but that he’s “definitely open to it” at some point, depending on fan reception and how things go down the line. Pascal was excited at the idea of a movie, saying, “I think that the work is so beautiful that I would love for that to be held by a big screen experience.” However, he also acknowledged that some of The Mandlorian's unique appeal could be lost in a format change.

“But it seems to work so well that also I’m not sure it’s something that I would want corrupted by any kind of change, you know? I mean, I certainly know that the challenge can be met. It’s not like these people don’t have the experience. If anybody can do it, they can!”https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/d0db984fae3c85aba294cbace7f3448a.jpg

For fans who appreciated The Mandalorian’s episodic structure and focused narrative as a reprieve from the sequel trilogy’s bombast, the idea of a film adaptation might not be the most enticing notion. Din and Baby Yoda’s adventure appealed to many specifically because of how different and more grounded they felt in comparison to Rise of Skywalker. Because of the Skywalker Saga’s controversial conclusion, it may be some time before people are ready for another big-screen Star Wars story.

Especially with Disney’s current streaming-centric model in reaction to the coronavirus pandemic, any future Star Wars movies feel far, far away. Still, that doesn’t mean the franchise can’t one day return to the medium where it’s always thrived. When it does, whether Din appears or not, The Mandalorian certainly offers a positive model for what modern fans want to see out of Star Wars.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Yellowjackets Star Teases Shauna’s Season 3 Storyline
Forum | 10 hours ago

Yellowjackets Star Teases Shauna’s Season 3 Storyline

LaKeith Stanfield to Star in Video Game Adaptation El Paso, Elsewhere
Forum | 14 hours ago

LaKeith Stanfield to Star in Video Game Adaptation El Paso, Elsewhere

EPL: Brilliant signing – Redknapp backs Chelsea star to have good career at Stamford Bridge
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: Brilliant signing – Redknapp backs Chelsea star to have good career at Stamford Bridge

Nothing Must Happen To Me, My Grandson, And Mohbad’s Wife - Mohbad’s Mother Cries Out
Forum | 4 days ago

Nothing Must Happen To Me, My Grandson, And Mohbad’s Wife - Mohbad’s Mother Cries Out