Court strikes out homosexuality charges against dancer, James Brown and others

Forum 3 years ago

Court strikes out homosexuality charges against dancer, James Brown and others

The homosexuality charges filed against effeminate dancer, James Brown and 46 others in November 2019 has been struck out by a federal court in Lagos.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/4d9a93c67588f244b17d203fa18ac53d.jpg

Justice Rilwan Aikawa who ruled on the case on Tuesday October 27, struck out the case on ground of the charges against the defendants lacking “diligent prosecution” by the police.

While the federal high court judge pointed out that the prosecuting counsel, J.I Ebhoremen, was absent from court for the umpteenth time with no reasonable explanation, the defence counsel, Israel Usman noted that it was the ninth time Mr Ebhoremen did not show up in court since the case started in 2019.

Usman urged the Judge to strike out the case as Section 356(5) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015 provided a maximum of five adjournments at the instance of the prosecution in a criminal trial.

He said;

“This is ninth adjournment at the instance of the prosecution in contravention of the statutory Act that regulates criminal justice system. We urge the court to dismiss the case and discharge the defendants."

Ruling on the case, Aikawa said;

“I agree entirely with defendants’ counsel that the prosecution’s attitude to this case is not satisfactory. In my view, this should not be. If the prosecution has a cogent reason not to be in court, he should have communicated in writing to the court and copy the defence counsel.

“For whatever reason, the prosecution is no more capable or not willing to prosecute this case. Consequently, this case is struck out due to lack of diligent prosecution.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Activist Drags Soludo, Others to Court For Running Anambra LGs With Unelected Officials
Forum | 1 day ago

Activist Drags Soludo, Others to Court For Running Anambra LGs With Unelected Officials

Appeal Court Fails To Hear EFCC’s Suit Against Kogi Ex-Gov Yahaya Bello
Forum | 1 day ago

Appeal Court Fails To Hear EFCC’s Suit Against Kogi Ex-Gov Yahaya Bello

Court Reverses Order Suspending Ganduje As APC National Chairman
Forum | 1 day ago

Court Reverses Order Suspending Ganduje As APC National Chairman

Creature Commandos Update Given by James Gunn for First DCU Show
Forum | 1 day ago

Creature Commandos Update Given by James Gunn for First DCU Show