I Want To Play For Barcelona – Depay Speaks Out

Forum 3 years ago

I Want To Play For Barcelona – Depay Speaks Out

Lyon and Netherlands striker Memphis Depay has admitted that it would be hard to pass up the opportunity to move to Barcelona.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/441a5dac4032f00807149865aa251d60.jpg

Depay, 26, has proved a huge hit at Lyon since moving to the Ligue 1 club in 2017 having failed to live up to expectations at Manchester United.

The forward netted 19 goals in his first full season in the French top flight and, in 2019-20, was a key part of his side’s march to the Champions League semi-finals, scoring six goals in eight appearances as Lyon upset both Juventus and Manchester City before their European dreams were ended by Bayern Munich in the last four.

Barcelona have long been linked with Depay’s services, and would have tied up a transfer over the summer but for the star’s wages pushing the cash-strapped Catalans over budget.

The Blaugrana would have to further trim their squad to fund new signings of the striker’s calibre, but should a move be on the table Depay would consider it very carefully.

“I don’t know about Barca. The transfer market is not open. My mind isn’t on that,” Depay told reporters after drawing 1-1 with Spain on Wednesday.

“I am trying to give my best, to play well in order to become a better player. There is a lot of speculation out there.

“Who wouldn’t like to play there? They are one of the best teams in the world. Everyone would like to play there, but I’m not thinking about that.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
I Don’t Want To Be a Godfather – El Rufai
Forum | 3 days ago

I Don’t Want To Be a Godfather – El Rufai

EPL: I want to coach top team – Fabregas hints at return to England
Forum | 6 days ago

EPL: I want to coach top team – Fabregas hints at return to England

Transfer: Expert speaks on Ronaldo leaving Al Nassr
Forum | 6 days ago

Transfer: Expert speaks on Ronaldo leaving Al Nassr

EPL: If you don’t want to play, I’ll pick another person – Guardiola tells Rodri
Forum | 1 week ago

EPL: If you don’t want to play, I’ll pick another person – Guardiola tells Rodri