Bridgerton Showrunner Wants Simon And Daphne To Return In Season 2

Forum 3 years ago

Bridgerton Showrunner Wants Simon And Daphne To Return In Season 2

Bridgerton showrunner Chris Van Dusen wants Simon and Daphne to return sometime in Bridgerton season 2, saying they'll always be a part of the show.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/a1dc9effc92293fbd2749224e75fe21a.jpg

Bridgerton showrunner Chris Van Dusen wants Simon and Daphne to return for season 2. Netflix confirmed this week that the hit Regency-era romance would be returning for a second season. Bridgerton season 2 filming is slated to begin this spring. The Netflix series was adapted from the Bridgerton family novels by Julia Quinn. Season one followed the events of Quinn's first Bridgerton book, "The Duke and I," which centered around the riveting love story between the eldest Bridgerton daughter Daphne (Phoebe Dynevor) and Simon Basset, the Duke of Hastings (Rege-Jean Page).

Season 1 was Daphne's story through and through. It shone a spotlight on how Daphne navigated being declared the Diamond of the First Water by Queen Charlotte herself, to falling from favor due to her brother Anthony's actions, scheming with Simon to get back in the marriage market game, and ultimately falling in love with the rakish Duke. Throw in the seemingly omniscient Lady Whistledown (Julie Andrews) who was always ready to report even the slightest hint of scandal and fans had one incredible roller coaster ride of a first season. It simply wouldn't have worked as well as it did without the incredible romantic chemistry and love between Simon and Daphne, which culminated in the birth of their son in the season 1 finale. Will season 2 be able to keep up the momentum with a new focus on Daphne's brother Anthony Bridgerton?

Van Dusen shared his thoughts on the future of Simon and Daphne during an interview on Today With Hoda and Jenna (via Deadline). What did the Bridgerton showrunner think about Simon and Daphne returning to season 2? Check out Van Dusen's thoughts on the matter below.

"I hope so. They are now of course the Duke and Duchess of Hastings but in my mind they will always be Bridgertons and I think they will always be part of the show.”

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/92659a39c5b7eaa7e5ef9c3649c5d889.jpg

It's good to know that Van Dusen would want Simon and Daphne to return, although his statement didn't seem to confirm that they would be. Of course, it would make sense for the showrunner to not want to spoil anything for season 2 this early on in production. Simon and Daphne's story did play out beautifully in season 1, but it would be nice to get glimpses of their family life in season two while keeping the main focus on Anthony.

Perhaps Anthony will get some sisterly advice from Daphne as he tries to figure out his own romantic entanglements? (And fans would surely love to see some sort of scene of Simon and Daphne being parents to their son.) It'll certainly be a long wait for Bridgerton season 2, but fans can read the book the season will be based on, "The Viscount Who Loved Me," in the interim. The book certainly does add major context as to why Anthony always checks his watch, and also explains the significance of that season one closing shot that focused on a lone bumblebee. There certainly are a lot more questions than answers regarding Bridgerton season 2 at the moment. However, the show's return will definitely be buzz-worthy.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Elsbeth Season 2 Set by CBS for The Good Wife Spin-off
Forum | 19 hours ago

Elsbeth Season 2 Set by CBS for The Good Wife Spin-off

Pretty Little Liars Season 2 Trailer Previews Max Thriller’s Newest Villain
Forum | 23 hours ago

Pretty Little Liars Season 2 Trailer Previews Max Thriller’s Newest Villain

The Witcher Season 5 to End Hit Netflix Series
Forum | 1 day ago

The Witcher Season 5 to End Hit Netflix Series