What To Consider Before Choosing The Distribution Company To Work With

Forum 2 years ago

What To Consider Before Choosing The Distribution Company To Work With

Music distribution is gradually becoming a big thing in Africa. Nigerian artists over the past few years haven't really given this aspect of the music industry a thought. We all thought it isn't cool as it was all expensive to dish out music to stores.

Back in the day, artists had to pay a huge amount of money to get their songs on music stores like apple music, iTunes, Spotify, Deezer, Boomplay, etc. Today, that isn't the case. Even though there are still platforms that charge to distribute songs, others prefer to keep a certain percentage of your income while a few distribute for free and allow you to keep 100% of your royalties.

With a high percentage of people adopting the idea of digital distribution, mistakes are inevitable. Here are what to consider before choosing a music distribution company to work with.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/b5f35d4117ddc7bbd11074b78b8ab536.png

1. Their team

A lot of brands are coming up these days claiming to be music distribution companies. Before choosing a music distribution company to work with, please consider their team. Ensure they are experienced and passionate. Aside from their antecedents and passion with is important, also be sure they value and appreciate your sound. This way, they will give in all their best when working on your projects.

2. Their benefits

Like I mentioned earlier, there are three kinds of business modules run by music distribution companies. The first is charging you for the services and allowing you to keep 100% of your royalties. The second is taking 30% of your royalties and not charging you a dime, and the third is offering you a free service for 0% of your royalties. You need to understand what they stand to gain and how that could fuel their passion in working with or for you. In my opinion, I'll advise you work with distros that keep 30% of your royalties and don't charge you for the service. This way, they must put in the effort before they could make money from your content. This in turn will ensure you get something out of these stores.

3. Their promise

What are their services and their brand promise? You need to get them to answer these questions. In my opinion, if it doesn't include pitching your songs for possible playlists, it is not a fair deal.

What do you think? Please react below

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Banner Calling Out "Home Wrecker" With Her Face And Work Place On Display Is Spotted On The Roadside
Forum | 4 days ago

Banner Calling Out "Home Wrecker" With Her Face And Work Place On Display Is Spotted On The Roadside

NOUN disclaimer notice on distribution of certificates
Forum | 1 week ago

NOUN disclaimer notice on distribution of certificates

Andor Creator Thinks Season 2 Might Be Some of the Most ‘Important’ Work He’s Ever Done
Forum | 1 week ago

Andor Creator Thinks Season 2 Might Be Some of the Most ‘Important’ Work He’s Ever Done

Wigwe: Ogunbanjo’s Family Files Lawsuit Against Charter Company Over Helicopter Crash
Forum | 1 week ago

Wigwe: Ogunbanjo’s Family Files Lawsuit Against Charter Company Over Helicopter Crash