Kick-Ass Director Matthew Vaughn Reveals His Pitch for ‘A Colorful, Fun Superman Movie’

Forum 2 years ago

Kick-Ass Director Matthew Vaughn Reveals His Pitch for ‘A Colorful, Fun Superman Movie’

In 2017, Kingsman director Matthew Vaughn was rumored to be the top choice for directing a Man of Steel sequel. While that never ended up happening, the director still remembers exactly how he wanted to approach a Superman film.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/2f655349cf0161a94148b061d018af95.jpg

Speaking with TheWrap, Vaughn revealed that he had, in fact, pitched a Superman film prior to the release of Man of Steel and that his idea for a film was more colorful and fun than what the studio ended up going with.

“I was desperate to do a Superman film. Desperate,” Vaughn said. “I pitched a big Superman movie before they made Man of Steel. I just got to work with Henry Cavill, which was lovely, on Argylle and he’s unbelievable in it. I still think there’s room for a new Superman film, but a proper Superman film. A colorful, fun Superman movie. Not a dark one.”

While Vaughn did note that Man of Steel was “a great Superman movie,” he did note that he thought it was a mistake to follow up Man of Steel with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

“I just thought it was a mistake putting the Batman vibe into the Superman world,” Vaughn said. “I just think they’re two separate — they’re just not relatable in any way, in my mind. It should be fun. I mean, look, The Dark Knight was obviously different, and it made sense and it was brilliant, as a film and as a comic. But Superman was always… I loved the [Richard] Donner Superman movie, and I think Wonder Woman worked because, I think, Wonder Woman was basically remaking [Donner’s] Superman in a weird way. Yeah, I love Superman.”

While it’s unknown if Vaughn will ever get the chance to direct a Superman film, it’s clear that the director has great respect for the character, and with some fans clamoring for more light-hearted comic book films from DC, it’s not impossible that he’ll get the chance to direct one in the future.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Davido Reveals He No Longer Communicates With Wizkid and Burna Boy
Forum | 1 day ago

Davido Reveals He No Longer Communicates With Wizkid and Burna Boy

Tiwa Savage Reveals She Became a Singer Because of Her Crush
Forum | 1 day ago

Tiwa Savage Reveals She Became a Singer Because of Her Crush

Oh What Fun Cast: Felicity Jones Joins Amazon’s Holiday Comedy Movie
Forum | 2 days ago

Oh What Fun Cast: Felicity Jones Joins Amazon’s Holiday Comedy Movie

Davido Reveals Only American Artist He Can ‘Disturb’ Himself To Collaborate With
Forum | 2 days ago

Davido Reveals Only American Artist He Can ‘Disturb’ Himself To Collaborate With