Mortal Kombat Movie Writer Helming System Shock TV Series

Forum 2 years ago

Mortal Kombat Movie Writer Helming System Shock TV Series

Greg Russo was recently revealed to be returning for the next Mortal Kombat movie, and now it has been confirmed that he is helming yet another video game property adaptation. Russo will also be writing and directing the System Shock series for Binge.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/b46f2b1a1f3de74a0041a272126e1916.jpg

In addition to writing and directing, Russo will be executive producing the series alongside Allan Ungar, who directed the popular Uncharted short film starring Nathan Fillion from 2018. Nightdive Studios, the developer behind the rerelease and upcoming remake of System Shock, has a few of its team members as executive producers, too, including CEO and Founder Stephen Kick and Director of Business Development Larry Kuperman. Russo spoke about being involved with the project.

“I’m honored to have the opportunity to work alongside the fantastic team at Binge and Nightdive Studios to bring the iconic System Shock franchise to life,” said Russo. “I’ve been waiting for the right opportunity to make my directorial debut, and I finally found it.”

Russo is also behind a few other video game adaptations that are still in production. He’s been tasked with writing F. Gary Gray’s Saints Row movie as well as the Space Invaders film.

The System Shock series was beloved in the ’90s and opened the doors for later games like Bioshock and Deus Ex. Nightdive released an upgraded version of the original game called System Shock Enhanced Edition after nabbing the rights to the series. The developer is also doing a more proper remake for that first game for PC and consoles later this year. OtherSide Entertainment is developing System Shock 3, as well, but hasn’t given many recent updates on the title after announcing in May 2020 that Tencent would be taking the franchise forward.

Binge’s strategy hinges on video games since it says it is an “immersive streaming platform created for the gaming universe.” The platform will also be the home to series based on Driver and Hunt: Showdown.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Twilight of the Gods: Zack Snyder’s Animated Netflix Series Gets Release Date Window
Forum | 2 days ago

Twilight of the Gods: Zack Snyder’s Animated Netflix Series Gets Release Date Window

Calabasas: Netflix Nabs Rights to Teen Series From Kim Kardashian & Emma Roberts
Forum | 2 days ago

Calabasas: Netflix Nabs Rights to Teen Series From Kim Kardashian & Emma Roberts

The Office Spin-off Series Adds 2 Actors to Ensemble Cast
Forum | 4 days ago

The Office Spin-off Series Adds 2 Actors to Ensemble Cast

Molly Shannon to Lead HBO Comedy Series From SNL Writer, Plot Details Revealed
Forum | 4 days ago

Molly Shannon to Lead HBO Comedy Series From SNL Writer, Plot Details Revealed