Sven Botman explains decision to join Newcastle over Milan

Forum 1 year ago

Sven Botman explains decision to join Newcastle over Milan

Dutch centre-back Sven Botman has explained his decision to sign for Newcastle United over European giants Milan.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/5e858ed2a20df00771e47b9b315191e7.jpg

The Magpies confirmed they have reached a deal in principle to sign the 22-year-old from Lille on Monday, with the announcement coming alongside an image of the defender holding up a Newcastle shirt at St. James' Park.

A £40m bid was accepted by Lille, and Botman agreeing personal terms on a five-year contract before successfully passing a medical. There are now mere formalities to be completed before the Netherlands international becomes a Newcastle player.

Although the centre-back has been a target for the Tynesiders since their Saudi-backed takeover last year, things could have been very different as Serie A champions Milan had been close to signing him before talks broke down.

Asked about his decision to eventually choose Newcastle by De Telegraaf, Botman said: "In the end, the beautiful project of Newcastle United in combination with playing in the Premier League was decisive.

"This is how the football world has developed and how the transfer market works at the moment," Botman continued.

“I can't help that. And hopefully I'm still that sober boy from Badhoevedorp. That €40million does indicate how much Newcastle United wanted me.

"That gives me confidence and now it's up to me to repay that."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Rebel Moon Franchise Could Be 4-6 Movies, Explains Zack Snyder
Forum | 15 hours ago

Rebel Moon Franchise Could Be 4-6 Movies, Explains Zack Snyder

A Big Bold Beautiful Journey Cast: Phoebe Waller-Bridge & More Join Margot Robbie-Led Movie
Forum | 1 day ago

A Big Bold Beautiful Journey Cast: Phoebe Waller-Bridge & More Join Margot Robbie-Led Movie

BBNaija Star Omashola Explains Why Fake Money Was Sprayed at His Wedding
Forum | 2 days ago

BBNaija Star Omashola Explains Why Fake Money Was Sprayed at His Wedding

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice: Geena Davis Explains Why She’s Not in Tim Burton’s Sequel
Forum | 3 days ago

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice: Geena Davis Explains Why She’s Not in Tim Burton’s Sequel