England remain concerned about James Maddison's fitness ahead of World Cup opener

Forum 1 year ago

England remain concerned about James Maddison's fitness ahead of World Cup opener

James Maddison is unlikely to be available for England's opening game of the World Cup against Iran, sources have told 90min.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/e7529056a85d9920cf9bddcc4850a409.jpg

The midfielder suffered a hamstring injury in Leicester's win over West Ham in his final game before the winter break for the World Cup.

Maddison and Leicester insisted the injury was not serious, but since arriving in Qatar, the 25-year-old has not been able to train.

Upon arrival, Maddison declared that there were no serious concerns about the injury, insisting: "We’ve had the scan, it was a good scan, there wasn't any major problems.

"I have to do a little bit of work to get up to speed with the physios, there should be no concern. I'm hopeful that I'll be fine."

England have until Sunday - 24 hours before their first game - to decide if they want to call up a replacement in Maddison's place.

Should Maddison drop out, the most likely alternatives would be Chelsea's Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Southampton's James Ward-Prowse, who both came close to making Gareth Southgate's 26-man squad.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Stop Wike’s Use of PDP to Remain Relevant – Secondus to Party Leaders
Forum | 3 days ago

Stop Wike’s Use of PDP to Remain Relevant – Secondus to Party Leaders

Late Night With The Devil Passes Box Office Milestone Ahead of Streaming Debut
Forum | 3 days ago

Late Night With The Devil Passes Box Office Milestone Ahead of Streaming Debut

Peacemaker Season 2: James Gunn Shares Photo as Production Begins on DCU Series
Forum | 4 days ago

Peacemaker Season 2: James Gunn Shares Photo as Production Begins on DCU Series

The World Is Deeper Than Our Mortal Eyes Can See - BBNaija’s Ka3na Shares Video Of Her Participating In A Ritual For Blessings From ‘Water Goddess’
Forum | 4 days ago

The World Is Deeper Than Our Mortal Eyes Can See - BBNaija’s Ka3na Shares Video Of Her Participating In A Ritual For Blessings From ‘Water Goddess’