Ellen Pompeo Exits Grey's Anatomy as Series Regular, Issues Statement

Forum 1 year ago

Ellen Pompeo Exits Grey's Anatomy as Series Regular, Issues Statement

It’s an end of an era for Grey’s Anatomy, as original cast member and titular star Ellen Pompeo officially announces her departure from the long-running medical drama after 19 seasons.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/1e266a9cc761515674987a08b1b4e9fd.jpg

After much speculation regarding the future of Meredith Grey, Pompeo took to Instagram to confirm her exit as a series regular but promises fans that she’ll return in a guest-starring capacity from time to time. In her post, the Golden Globe nominee expressed her immense gratitude to the fans who have supported her character from the very start.

“I am eternally grateful and humbled by the love and support you have all shown me, Meredith Grey, and the show for 19 seasons!” Pompeo said. “Through it all, none of it would have been possible without the best fans in the world. You all are riders and you all have made the ride so fun and iconic! I love you madly and appreciate you right back. This isn’t your first time on the rollercoaster… you know the show must go on and I’ll definitely be back to visit. With a lot of love and immense gratitude.”

Pompeo’s official exit came right after the recent mid-season finale premiere of Grey’s Anatomy Season 19. Despite her exit, she is still expected to narrate episodes and executive produce the show.

Grey’s Anatomy is a high-intensity medical drama following Meredith Grey and the team of doctors at Grey Sloan Memorial, who are faced with life-or-death decisions daily. They seek comfort from one another and, at times, more than just friendship. Together they discover that neither medicine nor relationships can be defined in black and white.

The series currently stars Ellen Pompeo as Meredith Grey, Chandra Wilson as Miranda Bailey, and James Pickens Jr. as Richard Webber, who are the remaining ones left from the original main cast from the first episode of the series. It also stars Kevin McKidd as Owen Hunt, Jesse Williams as Jackson Avery, Caterina Scorsone as Amelia Shepherd, Camilla Luddington as Jo Wilson, and Kelly McCreary as Maggie Pierce.

Grey’s Anatomy was created and is executive produced by Shonda Rhimes (Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder), with Krista Vernoff serving as the current showrunner. Betsy Beers (Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder), Mark Gordon (Saving Private Ryan), Krista Vernoff (Shameless), William Harper, Zoanne Clack, Debbie Allen, and Fred Einesman are executive producers. Grey’s Anatomy is produced by ABC Studios.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Golden Axe Animated Series Ordered at Comedy Central
Forum | 22 hours ago

Golden Axe Animated Series Ordered at Comedy Central

Young Sheldon Stars Share Tribute as Series Wraps Final Episode
Forum | 1 day ago

Young Sheldon Stars Share Tribute as Series Wraps Final Episode

One Hundred Years of Solitude Teaser Trailer Reveals Netflix Series Based on Masterpiece Novel
Forum | 1 day ago

One Hundred Years of Solitude Teaser Trailer Reveals Netflix Series Based on Masterpiece Novel

Margaret Qualley Exits Amanda Knox Limited Series at Hulu
Forum | 1 day ago

Margaret Qualley Exits Amanda Knox Limited Series at Hulu