Wednesday: Jenna Ortega Originally Passed on the Netflix Series

Forum 1 year ago

Wednesday: Jenna Ortega Originally Passed on the Netflix Series

In a recent interview with The Sunday Times, rising star Jenna Ortega has revealed that nearly didn’t star in Netflix’s popular Wednesday series. Due to her early TV background, Ortega admitted that she was really hesitant to sign on to project, which led her to turn down the opportunity to play Wednesday Addams multiple times.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/f4b4b3864318e12fc21bf1f6e23c0e51.jpg

“I got the email, passed on it. I had done so much TV in my life, all I’ve ever wanted to do is film,” Ortega recalled. “I was scared that by signing on to another television show it could prevent me from doing other jobs I really wanted and cared about.”

The 20-year-old actress confirmed that it was Tim Burton’s involvement with the series that convinced her to finally sign on for the leading role.

“The only reason I went back is because Tim is such a legend, and we just happened to get along very well. But even then I said, ‘Ah, no — I think I’m OK,’ a couple [more] times.”

Wednesday is a coming-of-age supernatural comedy starring Jenna Ortega (Yes Day) as the titular lead along with Catherine Zeta-Jones as Morticia Addams, Luis Guzmán as Gomez Addams, Victor Dorobantu as Thing, Isaac Ordonez as Pugsley Addams, and George Burcea as Lurch. It is executive produced and directed by Tim Burton (Beetlejuice, Corpse Bride) in his television directorial debut. The series has already been renewed for a second season.

Season 1 also stars Gwendoline Christie, Emma Myers, Hunter Doohan, Joy Sunday, Moosa Mostafa, Georgie Farmer, and Percy Hynes White. It also featured Golden Globe and Emmy nominee Christina Ricci as Marilyn Thornhill. Ricci famously portrayed Wednesday Addams in the early 90s.

“The series charts the titular heroine’s years as a student at the peculiar Nevermore Academy as she attempts to master her emerging psychic ability,” reads the synopsis, “While also thwarting a monstrous killing spree terrorizing the local town and solve the supernatural mystery that embroiled her parents 25 years ago — all while navigating her new and very tangled relationships of the strange and diverse student body.”

After working together on Wednesday, Ortega is looking to reunite with Burton in the upcoming Beetlejuice sequel, where she’s currently in talks for the leading role. While waiting for Season 2, fans can now watch Ortega reprise her role as Tara Carpenter in Scream VI which is currently playing in theaters.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Dead Boy Detectives Sneak Peek Unveils First 5 Minutes of Netflix Series
Forum | 20 hours ago

Dead Boy Detectives Sneak Peek Unveils First 5 Minutes of Netflix Series

The Walking Dead Animated Series Can’t Happen Yet for This Reason
Forum | 20 hours ago

The Walking Dead Animated Series Can’t Happen Yet for This Reason

Thelma the Unicorn Trailer Previews Animated Netflix Movie From Napoleon Dynamite Creators
Forum | 1 day ago

Thelma the Unicorn Trailer Previews Animated Netflix Movie From Napoleon Dynamite Creators

Sex Lives of College Girls Season 3 Adds New Series Regular to Cast
Forum | 2 days ago

Sex Lives of College Girls Season 3 Adds New Series Regular to Cast