Frenkie de Jong reveals stance on potential Man Utd move

Forum 1 year ago

Frenkie de Jong reveals stance on potential Man Utd move

Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong has commented on reports that he could leave the club to join Manchester United.

The Dutchman was heavily pursued by the Red Devils last summer, with incoming manager Erik ten Hag making him a priority transfer target.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/c3f32cf21928d0e56a0f7cfcc12e7e2e.jpg

Despite Barcelona's requirement to raise funds in order to financially compete - which included the activation of several economic 'levers' - as well as a still-unfulfilled need to pay De Jong millions in deferred wages, he ended up staying at Camp Nou and has since turned into a pivotal member of Xavi's preferred starting lineup.

De Jong has long insisted that he has no intention of leaving Barcelona, though he was recently quizzed directly about interest from England, with Ziggo Sport asking: "You won’t join Manchester United in the summer, correct?"

To this, De Jong replied: "No, I don't think so. You never know of course. But I'm very happy in Barcelona."

90min understands that De Jong is still wanted by Ten Hag and United are prepared to make another move should an opportune scenario arrive.

De Jong's Barcelona were eliminated from the UEFA Europa League in the knockout round play-offs by United, who advanced following a 4-3 aggregate win. Ten Hag's side have since reached the quarter-finals, where they will meet another La Liga outfit in Sevilla.

Barcelona, meanwhile, moved 12 points clear at the top of La Liga after beating rivals Real Madrid 2-1 in El Clasico on Sunday night, with De Jong in line to win the Spanish title for the first time since joining from Ajax.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Outer Range Season 2 Trailer Reveals Return of Josh Brolin Sci-Fi Series
Forum | 2 days ago

Outer Range Season 2 Trailer Reveals Return of Josh Brolin Sci-Fi Series

I Met Paul As A Single Man - Ivy Ifeoma Addresses Accusations Of Being A Husband Snatcher
Forum | 3 days ago

I Met Paul As A Single Man - Ivy Ifeoma Addresses Accusations Of Being A Husband Snatcher

One-Punch Man Live-Action Movie Enlists Rick & Morty Creator as Writer
Forum | 3 days ago

One-Punch Man Live-Action Movie Enlists Rick & Morty Creator as Writer

Jnr Pope: Man Who Claims To Be The Captain Of The Boat Gives Account Of What Allegedly Transpired Before And After The Accident
Forum | 3 days ago

Jnr Pope: Man Who Claims To Be The Captain Of The Boat Gives Account Of What Allegedly Transpired Before And After The Accident