Martin Scorsese: ‘The Whole World Has Opened Up to Me, But It’s Too Late’

Forum 11 months ago

Martin Scorsese: ‘The Whole World Has Opened Up to Me, But It’s Too Late’

Martin Scorsese has the fire to make more movies, but the prolific director feels he’s learned things too late.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/254a98aa9847e8b02a2b3c58e75dfbf9.jpg

Does Martin Scorsese want to keep making movies?

Speaking to Deadline in an exclusive profile, Scorsese was asked if he still had the fire to make films at 80. The director said he’s “got to,” but feels the world has opened up to him too late.

“Got to. Got to. Yeah,” said Scorsese. “I wish I could take a break for eight weeks and make a film at the same time [laughs]. The whole world has opened up to me, but it’s too late. It’s too late.”

When asked exactly what Scorsese meant, the 80-year-old directing legend acknowledged his age and how “there’s no more time.” He then referenced a story from fellow director and legend Akira Kurosawa. When receiving an honorary Oscar in 1990, Kurosawa famously noted that he was only just beginning to understand the “possibility of cinema,” but that it was too late for him.

According to Scorsese, he didn’t understand what the legendary director meant at the time, but now he does.

“I’m old. I read stuff. I see things. I want to tell stories, and there’s no more time,” said Scorsese. “Kurosawa, when he got his Oscar, when George [Lucas] and Steven [Spielberg] gave it to him, he said, “I’m only now beginning to see the possibility of what cinema could be, and it’s too late.” He was 83. At the time, I said, “What does he mean?” Now I know what he means.”

Scorsese’s next film will be the highly anticipated Killers of the Flower Moon, which stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert De Niro, Lily Gladstone, Jesse Plemons, Tantoo Cardinal, and Brendan Fraser. The film is set to release on October 6, 2023.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Illbliss Remembers Late Indigenous Rapper, Dagrin
Forum | 2 days ago

Illbliss Remembers Late Indigenous Rapper, Dagrin

Lateef Adedimeji Recounts Grass-to-Grace Journey, Inspires Many
Forum | 2 days ago

Lateef Adedimeji Recounts Grass-to-Grace Journey, Inspires Many

I Am Going To Have Eleven Beautiful Children, My Late Son Will Return - Yul Edochie
Forum | 3 days ago

I Am Going To Have Eleven Beautiful Children, My Late Son Will Return - Yul Edochie

You Bring So Much Joy, Into My World - Actor Browny Igboegwu Celebrates Wife on Her Birthday
Forum | 3 days ago

You Bring So Much Joy, Into My World - Actor Browny Igboegwu Celebrates Wife on Her Birthday