Original Moana Actress Reveals Whether She’ll Be in Disney Live-Action Remake

Forum 10 months ago

Original Moana Actress Reveals Whether She’ll Be in Disney Live-Action Remake

The original Moana actress will be involved in the upcoming Moana live-action film — but not in an acting role. Auliʻi Cravalho has revealed she won’t reprise her iconic lead role.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/785373ff12e64c73a14bd51b21b9aac5.jpg

Taking to Instagram on Friday, Cravalho revealed that she wouldn’t star in the upcoming film as Moana. Cravalho didn’t give any specific reason, but did say that she would be an executive producer on the film, and believes that casting should “accurately” represent the characters and stories they’re telling.

Cravalho ended her message by saying that she’s “honored” to pass the baton to the “next young woman of Pacific Island descent” to play the role.

“Aloha Mai Kakou,” Cravalho wrote. “As I’m sure you’ve heard by now, live-action Moana is in the works and you all have been waiting very patiently for updates. So, I’ve written a few things down. When I was cast as Moana at 14, it wonderfully changed my life and started my career. In this live-action retelling, I will not be reprising the role. I believe it is absolutely vital the casting accurately represents the characters and stories we want to tell. So, as an executive producer of the film, I cannot wait to help find the next actress to portray Moana’s courageous spirit, undeniable wit, and emotional strength. I’m truly honored to pass this baton to the next young woman of Pacific Island descent to honor our incredible Pacific people’s cultures and communities that helped inspire her story and I look forward to all the beautiful Pacific representation to come. Mahalo.”

What will the Moana live-action movie be about?

The Moana live-action remake will be produced by Johnson, who plans to return for the remake, as well as Dany Garcia, and Hiram Garcia through their Seven Bucks Productions banner and Beau Flynn for Flynn Picture Co. It will be executive produced by Auli‘i Cravalho — the voice of Moana in the 2016 film — and Scott Sheldon of Flynn Picture Co. Jared Bush, who wrote the screenplay for Moana, will also take part in the remake’s production alongside Samoan industry pro Dana Ledoux Miller.

Released in 2016, Moana was met with positive reviews and made nearly $644 million at the box office. The film has remained popular, and stayed in the top 15 movies streamed on Disney+ in the United States in 2022.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Nancy Isime Reveals The Best Gift She Will Give to Anyone She Loves
Forum | 7 hours ago

Nancy Isime Reveals The Best Gift She Will Give to Anyone She Loves

The Fall Guy Gets Meta in New Videos for Ryan Gosling, Emily Blunt Action Movie
Forum | 7 hours ago

The Fall Guy Gets Meta in New Videos for Ryan Gosling, Emily Blunt Action Movie

PDP NEC Fails To Take Action On Wike, Ortom, Others Over Anti-party Activities
Forum | 10 hours ago

PDP NEC Fails To Take Action On Wike, Ortom, Others Over Anti-party Activities