Leeds United confirm departure of Sam Allardyce

Forum 10 months ago

Leeds United confirm departure of Sam Allardyce

Leeds United have announced that manager Sam Allardyce has left the club by mutual consent.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/e7625d632634f256aec52a416d0835c7.jpg

Allardyce was rushed into Elland Road with only four games of the 2022/23 season remaining to try and stave off relegation from the Premier League, replacing Javi Gracia in the dugout.

He began life at Leeds with a narrow 2-1 loss away at eventual champions Manchester City before holding top-four Newcastle United to a 2-2 draw.

Leeds threw away the lead in a 3-1 defeat at West Ham United on the penultimate weekend of the campaign and went into the final day of the season needing to beat Tottenham Hotspur to stand any chance of survival. They were hammered 4-1 by Spurs.

And Leeds have now released a statement confirming that Allardyce will not return to the club for the 2023/24 season.

"Leeds United and Sam Allardyce can confirm that both parties have mutually agreed for Sam's spell at the club to end following the completion of the 2022/23 season," a statement read.

"Sam joined the Whites for the final four games of the campaign and despite spirited performances against Manchester City and Newcastle United, the objective of staying in the Premier League was not reached."

Allardyce told Leeds' club channels: "It has been an honour to manage Leeds United, a great club with an incredible fan base, who deserve to be in the Premier League. I have really enjoyed working with the staff and players at the club and I would like to thank Angus Kinnear for the opportunity. I'd also like to highlight the outstanding work of Karl Robinson and Robbie Keane who have worked tirelessly over the past few weeks.

"At this stage in my career I am not sure taking on this challenge, which is potentially a long-term project, is something I could commit to, but I wish the club every success for the future and hope the club returns to the Premier League, where they belong."

Leeds added that an announcement on a successor to Allardyce will be made in the coming weeks.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Chippa United target Black Stars goalie as potential replacement for Nwabali
Forum | 1 day ago

Chippa United target Black Stars goalie as potential replacement for Nwabali

Transfer: Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United make Adarabioyo contact
Forum | 4 days ago

Transfer: Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United make Adarabioyo contact

CONFIRMED: Nollywood actor Junior Pope is still alive, rushed to Asaba hospital
Forum | 1 week ago

CONFIRMED: Nollywood actor Junior Pope is still alive, rushed to Asaba hospital