The Weeknd Reveals His Goal With The Idol: ‘It’s Almost Educational’

Forum 10 months ago

The Weeknd Reveals His Goal With The Idol: ‘It’s Almost Educational’

The Idol star Abel “The Weeknd” Tesfaye has gone into detail about his goal with the HBO series and its approach to examining fame.

What did The Weeknd say was the goal of The Idol?

While speaking with Variety, Tesfaye was asked if working on the series has made him reexamine the idea of fame or if it’s made him feel any different about it. The musician and actor noted that making people reassess fame was his goal with the series, as well as showing that fame makes you never sure of what someone’s true intentions are.

“Well, my goal was for people to feel that way when they watch it, you know, and that they’ll reassess [fame],” Tesfaye explained. “It’s almost educational, that this is what comes with being incredibly famous. You’re surrounded by people who you’re not sure what their true intentions are, even if it seems like they’re good. You just never know. But of course, I’ve been very fortunate to have people around me that I’ve known almost my entire life, which is important, and is a gift.

“Nothing is worse than a yes-man, especially when you have a bunch of yes-men around you. And when you see a character like Nikki [Katz, Jocelyn’s hard-edged record-label executive], who’s not a yes-man, she might seem like a bad person, but then you kind of like her for being honest. So it’s a very complicated situation for Jocelyn.”

The Idol is co-created by Tesfaye, Reza Fahim, and Euphoria’s Sam Levinson. The ensemble cast features Suzanna Son, Troye Sivan, Jane Adams, Rachel Sennott, Hari Nef, Moses Sumney, Jennie Ruby Jane, Dan Levy, Eli Roth, Ramsey, Da’Vine Joy Randolph, and Hank Azaria.

After a splashy premiere at the 76th Cannes Film Festival, The Idol received many negative reviews, with most critics panning the series. The sexual content and overall themes of The Idol have been the driving factors behind the criticism.

Tesfaye, Fahim, and Levinson executive produce alongside Joe Epstein, Ashley Levinson, Nick Hall, Kevin Turen, Aaron Gilbert, and Sara E. White. The Idol is an A24 production.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Actress Tolulope Onamade Reveals How She Was Nearly Used for Rituals After Joining Friends for Hook-up
Forum | 3 days ago

Actress Tolulope Onamade Reveals How She Was Nearly Used for Rituals After Joining Friends for Hook-up

Davido Reveals Huge Amount He Made From His Sold Out Concert at Madison Square Concert
Forum | 3 days ago

Davido Reveals Huge Amount He Made From His Sold Out Concert at Madison Square Concert

Erigga Reveals How to Detect a Street Wife
Forum | 3 days ago

Erigga Reveals How to Detect a Street Wife

Furiosa: Anya Taylor-Joy Reveals Advice She Received From Fury Road Star
Forum | 5 days ago

Furiosa: Anya Taylor-Joy Reveals Advice She Received From Fury Road Star