Taylor Sheridan on Kevin Costner’s Yellowstone Departure: ‘I’m Disappointed’

Forum 10 months ago

Taylor Sheridan on Kevin Costner’s Yellowstone Departure: ‘I’m Disappointed’

In a recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Yellowstone creator Taylor Sheridan finally addressed Kevin Costner‘s exit from the hit family drama.

Sheridan admitted that he was definitely “disappointed” that Costner’s lead character John Dutton won’t have a proper closure to his story arc. However, he doesn’t blame the Oscar-winning actor for wanting to focus on his own passion project — a Western epic titled Horizon.

“My last conversation with Kevin was that he had this passion project he wanted to direct,” Sheridan shared. “He and the network were arguing about when he could be done with Yellowstone. I said, ‘We can certainly work a schedule toward [his preferred exit date],’ which we did.”

He added, “My opinion of Kevin as an actor hasn’t altered. His creation of John Dutton is symbolic and powerful … and I’ve never had an issue with Kevin that he and I couldn’t work out on the phone. But once lawyers get involved, then people don’t get to talk to each other and start saying things that aren’t true and attempt to shift blame based on how the press or public seem to be reacting. He took a lot of this on the chin and I don’t know that anyone deserves it. His movie seems to be a great priority to him and he wants to shift focus. I sure hope [the movie is] worth it — and that it’s a good one.”

Yellowstone Ending with Season 5

Following Costner’s shocking exit, Paramount Network announced Yellowstone will end its run after Season 5. The show is currently on mid-season break, and slated to release its remaining six episodes in November 2023. Despite this, it has been confirmed a Yellowstone sequel is in development.

“The series chronicles the Dutton family, led by John Dutton, who controls the largest contiguous cattle ranch in the United States,” reads the synopsis. “Amid shifting alliances, unsolved murders, open wounds, and hard-earned respect — the ranch is in constant conflict with those it borders – an expanding town, an Indian reservation, and America’s first national park.”

Yellowstone is created by Taylor Sheridan and John Linson. It stars Kevin Costner, Luke Grimes, Kelly Reilly, Wes Bentley, Cole Hauser, Kelsey Asbille, Brecken Merrill, Jefferson White, Forrie Smith, Denim Richards, Ian Bohen, Finn Little, Ryan Bingham, Gil Birmingham, Jen Landon, and Kathryn Kelly.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Spacey Unmasked: Max Acquires U.S. Rights to Kevin Spacey Documentary
Forum | 3 days ago

Spacey Unmasked: Max Acquires U.S. Rights to Kevin Spacey Documentary

Yellowstone’s Luke Grimes Addresses Kevin Costner’s ‘Unfortunate’ Exit
Forum | 5 days ago

Yellowstone’s Luke Grimes Addresses Kevin Costner’s ‘Unfortunate’ Exit

28 Years Later Cast Adds Aaron Taylor Johnson & Ralph Fiennes
Forum | 6 days ago

28 Years Later Cast Adds Aaron Taylor Johnson & Ralph Fiennes