Daniel Kaluuya-Led Barney Movie Will Be ‘A24-Type’ Project

Forum 9 months ago

Daniel Kaluuya-Led Barney Movie Will Be ‘A24-Type’ Project

While not too much is known about Mattel Films‘ upcoming Barney movie starring Daniel Kaluuya, an executive from Mattel has revealed that it will feel similar to an A24 project.

Speaking to The New Yorker (via Deadline), executive and VP of Film Production for Mattel Kevin McKeon spoke about the mysterious project. According to McKeon, the film will be “surrealistic,” with McKeon saying that the movie will be in the vein of projects by directors Charlie Kaufman or Spike Jonze and will be an “A24-type” project.

“We’re leaning into the millennial angst of the property rather than fine-tuning this for kids,” said McKeon. “It’s really a play for adults. Not that it’s R-rated, but it’ll focus on some of the trials and tribulations of being thirtysomething, growing up with Barney—just the level of disenchantment within the generation.”

What do we know about the upcoming Barney movie?

Currently, not too much is known about the upcoming movie, other then the fact that it will star Kaluuya. Unlike the original television series which sees Barney teaching children about love and compassion, this film is said to be more “heartbreaking,” said Kaluuya.

“Barney taught us, ‘I love you, you love me. Won’t you say you love me too?’ That’s one of the first songs I remember, and what happens when that isn’t true? I thought that was really heartbreaking,” Kaluuya said in a 2020 interview with EW about the project. “I have no idea why but it feels like that makes sense. It feels like there’s something unexpected that can be poignant but optimistic. Especially at this time now, I think that’s really, really needed.”

Barney & Friends originally premiered on PBS in 1992 and ran for 14 seasons, quickly becoming one of the biggest and most iconic children’s television series of all time in the process. Outside of Kaluuya’s upcoming project, a three-part documentary on the history of the character and television series is set to premiere later this year on Peacock.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Kizz Daniel Slams Troll Who Advised Him To Tread Carefully Around Wizkid
Forum | 1 day ago

Kizz Daniel Slams Troll Who Advised Him To Tread Carefully Around Wizkid

Your Evasion Of EFCC Arrest Is A Criminal Offence – Daniel Bwala Tells Yahaya Bello
Forum | 1 week ago

Your Evasion Of EFCC Arrest Is A Criminal Offence – Daniel Bwala Tells Yahaya Bello

Russell Crowe Exorcism Movie The Georgetown Project Gets New Title, Distributor
Forum | 1 week ago

Russell Crowe Exorcism Movie The Georgetown Project Gets New Title, Distributor

The Blair Witch Project Cast Seek Retroactive Residuals from Lionsgate
Forum | 1 week ago

The Blair Witch Project Cast Seek Retroactive Residuals from Lionsgate