Wicked Movie Was Almost Done Filming Before Actors Strike

Forum 9 months ago

Wicked Movie Was Almost Done Filming Before Actors Strike

The Wicked movie was almost done filming before the beginning of the actors’ strike.

The SAG-AFTRA strike began on July 14, 2023, as actors are lobbying for better streaming residuals and protection with the ongoing threat of A.I. As a result, movie and TV productions all around Hollywood have shut down, with SAG-AFTRA actors not permitted to work in productions run by the AMPTP.

One of the movies that got shut down was the two-part Wicked movie, the upcoming musical movie adaptation of the famous Broadway show. This movie stars Cynthia Erivo as Elphaba and Ariana Grande as Glinda. It is directed by Jon M. Chu, who previously helmed movies like In the Heights and Crazy Rich Asians.

Composter Stephen Schwartz commented on pausing production just a few days before Wicked Parts One and Two were to finish filming. “It’s quite frustrating in a way because we have, I think, 10 days worth of shooting to go finish all the shooting for both movies…But on the other hand, I might as well declare it, I’m in great sympathy and support of the unions that are striking,” he said (via Variety).

Director Jon M. Chu shared an update on Twitter, saying the release date should not be affected.

Who is in the Wicked movie cast?

The Wicked movie stars Cynthia Erivo as Elphaba, Ariana Grande as Glinda, Jonathan Bailey as Fiyero Tigelaar, Jeff Goldblum as The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Ethan Slater as Boq, and Michelle Yeoh as Madame Morrible.

The cast also includes Marissa Bode as Nessarose Thropp, Bowen Yang as Pfannee, Bronwyn James as ShenShen, Keala Settle as Miss Coddle, Aaron Teoh as Avaric, Colin Michael Carmichael as Professor Nikidik, and Adam James as Glinda’s father.

Wicked: Part One is set to release on November 27, 2024. Wicked: Part Two is set to release on November 26, 2025. They are distributed by Universal Pictures.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Commotion As Bandits Strike Again, Kill Four, Abduct Six In Zamfara
Forum | 3 days ago

Commotion As Bandits Strike Again, Kill Four, Abduct Six In Zamfara

XO Kitty Season 2 Cast Adds 3 New Actors as Filming Begins
Forum | 3 days ago

XO Kitty Season 2 Cast Adds 3 New Actors as Filming Begins

Joseph Quinn: Gladiator 2 Filming Was ‘A Little Scary’
Forum | 4 days ago

Joseph Quinn: Gladiator 2 Filming Was ‘A Little Scary’