Christopher Nolan Revisits His Unmade Howard Hughes Biopic Movie

Forum 9 months ago

Christopher Nolan Revisits His Unmade Howard Hughes Biopic Movie

Director Christopher Nolan has reminisced about his unmade Howard Hughes biopic.

Nolan’s newest movie is Oppenheimer, a biographical drama about the real-life figure J. Robert Oppenheimer, who became known by many as the father of the atomic bomb. This is Nolan’s first biographical movie based on a real-life person, but there was a time when he nearly made another film about a historical figure.

“Many years ago, I had written a script about the life of Howard Hughes that never got made because I wrote it right as Scorsese was making his own film,” Nolan told The New York Times. He refers to Scorsese’s 2004 movie The Aviator, which starred Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes. Had Nolan gotten to make his script, he would have cast Jim Carrey as Hughes.

Although Christopher Nolan never got to make this movie, he talked about how the writing process for that film influenced Oppenheimer. “But I cracked the script to my satisfaction, and that gave me a lot of insight on how to distill a person’s life and how to view a person’s life in a thematic way, so that the film is more than the sum of its parts,” Nolan continued. “So in some ways, the script, yes, it took me a few months, but it was really a culmination of 20 years of thinking.”

Does Oppenheimer have an end credits scene?

No, Oppenheimer does not have an end-credits scene. There is nothing after the credits.

The cast includes Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt, Matt Damon, Robert Downey Jr., Florence Pugh, Rami Malek, Benny Safdie, Michael Angarano, Josh Hartnett, Kenneth Branagh, Dane DeHaan, Alden Ehrenreich, Matthew Modine, Jack Quaid, David Dastmalachian, Jason Clarke, Josh Peck, Devon Bostick, Gary Oldman, and Casey Affleck.

Oppenheimer releases on Friday, July 21, 2023, by Universal Pictures.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Martin Scorsese Hoping to Make Frank Sinatra Biopic With Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence
Forum | 1 week ago

Martin Scorsese Hoping to Make Frank Sinatra Biopic With Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence

Chris Farley Biopic to Star Paul Walter Hauser, Director Revealed
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Chris Farley Biopic to Star Paul Walter Hauser, Director Revealed

Young Woman and the Sea Trailer Previews Daisy Ridley-Led Biopic Movie
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Young Woman and the Sea Trailer Previews Daisy Ridley-Led Biopic Movie

Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar Gets 70mm Imax Rerelease for 10th Anniversary
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar Gets 70mm Imax Rerelease for 10th Anniversary