Greta Gerwig on Barbie Ending: ‘Funny and Emotional’

Forum 9 months ago

Greta Gerwig on Barbie Ending: ‘Funny and Emotional’

Director Greta Gerwig has shared her thoughts on the Barbie ending.

Gerwig co-writes and directs the new fantasy comedy movie starring Margot Robbie as Barbie and Ryan Gosling as Ken. This movie has opened to critical praise and commercial success, earning $155 million in the domestic box office opening weekend.

SPOILER AHEAD!!!

Barbie ending explained

The ending of the movie features Barbie, who has become human, excitedly entering an office building for what appears to be a job interview. She introduces herself as Barbara Handler, named after the daughter of Ruth Handler, creator of the Barbie toy line. When asked why she is there, she responds with a smile, “I’m here to see my gynecologist!”

“With this film, it was important for me that everything operated on at least two levels,” Gerwig told USA Today. “I knew I wanted to end on a mic drop kind of joke, but I also find it very emotional. When I was a teenage girl, I remember growing up and being embarrassed about my body and just feeling ashamed in a way that I couldn’t even describe. It felt like everything had to be hidden.

“And then to see Margot as Barbie, with this big old smile on her face, saying what she says at the end with such happiness and joy,” Gerwig continues. “I was like, if I can give girls that feeling of, ‘Barbie does it, too’ – that’s both funny and emotional. There are so many things like that throughout the movie. It was always about looking for the levity and the heart.”

The film stars Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling, America Ferrera, Simu Liu, Kingsley Ben-Adir, Scott Evans, Kate McKinnon, Ariana Greenblatt, Alexandra Shipp, Emma Mackey, Issa Rae, Michael Cera, Hari Nef, Will Ferrell, Helen Mirren, Dua Lipa, and more.

Barbie is now playing in theaters.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season 4 Ordered, Lower Decks Ending with Season 5
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season 4 Ordered, Lower Decks Ending with Season 5

Babes Trailer Previews Emotional Comedy Starring Ilana Glazer & Michelle Buteau
Forum | 3 weeks ago

Babes Trailer Previews Emotional Comedy Starring Ilana Glazer & Michelle Buteau

Thank You for All You Do - Iyabo Ojo Pens Emotional Note to Her Man, Paul O On His Birthday
Forum | 3 weeks ago

Thank You for All You Do - Iyabo Ojo Pens Emotional Note to Her Man, Paul O On His Birthday

Doctor Who Trailer Promises a Fun & Emotional Season for Ncuti Gatwa’s Titular Time Lord
Forum | 3 weeks ago

Doctor Who Trailer Promises a Fun & Emotional Season for Ncuti Gatwa’s Titular Time Lord