Greta Gerwig Explains Barbie’s Sylvester Stallone Reference

Forum 9 months ago

Greta Gerwig Explains Barbie’s Sylvester Stallone Reference

In Barbie, Ryan Gosling’s Ken is inspired to dress like a “real man” when he discovers pictures of Sylvester Stallone in the 1970s. The decision to use Stallone as an inspiration for Ken came from Barbie director Greta Gerwig.

What Did Greta Gerwig Say About Sylvester Stallone?

When Mike Ryan of Uproxx suggested that Stallone would love Barbie, Gerwig “hopes so” since she admires the iconic action star.

“Everything that we have, or that we reference, in the movie, is only ever stuff that we love,” Gerwig said. “And I mean, I love Sylvester Stallone.”

Gerwig’s love for Stallone stems from the Rocky franchise. However, Gerwig was not the only fan of Stallone on the Barbie set. Gosling shared an appreciation for Stallone, making the use of the Rambo actor’s pictures in Barbie an easy decision.

actually,” Gerwig said. “When Ryan Gosling and I were texting a lot, we kind of both stumbled upon our mutual love of Sly Stallone. And then we were talking about his look in the ‘70s and how terrific it was. And he really adorned himself as a man. And we thought, “Well, that’s a good place to start.” I mean, there are just sort of fabulous images of him, particularly in the Rockys.”

With the chance for a potential sequel, Gerwig joked that Barbie 2 would open with Margot Robbie’s Barbie and Sylvester Stallone, and the latter could direct it. When Ryan mentioned how Stallone has a history of taking over as the director of movies he stars in, Gerwig has no problem handing the reins to Rocky Balboa.

“He’s welcome to it,” Gerwig said. “It would be an honor. It would be such an honor.”

In its first weekend, Gerwig’s Barbie threw a Stallone-sized punch at the box office, opening to a historic $162 million domestic debut. That marks the biggest domestic opening of 2023 and the highest opening weekend by a female director.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Rebel Moon Franchise Could Be 4-6 Movies, Explains Zack Snyder
Forum | 1 week ago

Rebel Moon Franchise Could Be 4-6 Movies, Explains Zack Snyder

BBNaija Star Omashola Explains Why Fake Money Was Sprayed at His Wedding
Forum | 1 week ago

BBNaija Star Omashola Explains Why Fake Money Was Sprayed at His Wedding

Tulsa King: Sylvester Stallone Shares Set Photo for Season 2
Forum | 1 week ago

Tulsa King: Sylvester Stallone Shares Set Photo for Season 2

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice: Geena Davis Explains Why She’s Not in Tim Burton’s Sequel
Forum | 1 week ago

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice: Geena Davis Explains Why She’s Not in Tim Burton’s Sequel