Joaquin Phoenix on Reuniting with Ridley Scott on Napoleon

Forum 8 months ago

Joaquin Phoenix on Reuniting with Ridley Scott on Napoleon

Actor Joaquin Phoenix has talked about reuniting with director Ridley Scott on Napoleon.

Phoenix will portray Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperor of the French, in the upcoming epic historical drama movie. He will star alongside Vanessa Kirby and Tahar Rahim in a film that “depicts Napoleon’s rise to power through the lens of his addictive and volatile relationship with Empress Joséphine,” according to the synopsis.

This is not Phoenix’s first time working with Scott on a historical thriller. Their previous collaboration was the 2000 movie Gladiator, which starred Phoenix and Russell Crowe, where Phoenix portrayed the villainous Commodus. The Beau is Afraid star recently told Empire about his experience reuniting with the The Last Duel director.

“The truth is, there was just a very nostalgic idea of working with Ridley again,” Phoenix says. “I had such an incredible experience working with Ridley on Gladiator, and I was so young. It was my first big production. I really yearned for that experience again or something similar.”

“He’s approached me about other things in the past,” Phoenix says, “but nothing that felt like it would be as demanding for both of us. And so I really liked the idea of jumping into something with Ridley that was going to be that.”

“My heart went out to him,” Scott said of Phoenix. “He is the best player of damaged goods.”

When is the Napoleon movie release date?

Napoleon releases on November 22, 2023, from Columbia Pictures and Apple TV+.

The movie stars Joaquin Phoenix in the lead role, Vanessa Kirby, Tahar Rahim, Ben Miles, Ludivine Sagnier, Matthew Needham, Youssef Kerkour, Phil Cornwell, Edouard Philipponnat, Ian McNeice, Paul Rhys, John Hollingworth, Gavin Spokes, and Mark Bonnar.

It is directed by Ridley Scott (The Last Duel, Alien, Blade Runner), and written by David Scarpa (The Day the Earth Stood Still, All the Money in the World). The movie is produced by Scott, Mark Huffam, and Kevin J. Walsh.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Stolen Girl: Kate Beckinsale, Scott Eastwood, & More Join Thriller Movie
Forum | 4 days ago

Stolen Girl: Kate Beckinsale, Scott Eastwood, & More Join Thriller Movie

Brian Cox Blasts Ridley Scott’s Napoleon, Calls Joaquin Phoenix Terrible: ‘It’s Totally His Fault’
Forum | 1 week ago

Brian Cox Blasts Ridley Scott’s Napoleon, Calls Joaquin Phoenix Terrible: ‘It’s Totally His Fault’

Thelma the Unicorn Trailer Previews Animated Netflix Movie From Napoleon Dynamite Creators
Forum | 1 week ago

Thelma the Unicorn Trailer Previews Animated Netflix Movie From Napoleon Dynamite Creators

Joker 2 Poster Shows Lady Gaga & Joaquin Phoenix Dancing in DC Sequel
Forum | 3 weeks ago

Joker 2 Poster Shows Lady Gaga & Joaquin Phoenix Dancing in DC Sequel