Evil Does Not Exist: Ryusuke Hamaguchi Movie Nabs North American Distribution

Forum 8 months ago

Evil Does Not Exist: Ryusuke Hamaguchi Movie Nabs North American Distribution

Following the critical success of 2021’s Drive My Car, Sideshow and Janus Films have once again teamed up to acquire the North American distribution rights to acclaimed Japanese filmmaker Ryusuke Hamaguchi’s newest drama feature titled Evil Does Not Exist.

“Hamaguchi is a true artist in every sense of the word, and we are so excited to be reuniting with him for Evil Does Not Exist,” Sideshow and Janus Films said in a joint statement (via Variety). “Releasing Drive My Car was the honor of a lifetime, and we know audiences will embrace his new powerful cinematic experience as they did his previous work.”

The acquisition comes ahead of its upcoming world premiere at the 2023 Venice Film Festival and special screenings at the Toronto International Film Festival and New York Film Festival.

What is Evil Does Not Exist about?

“The film follows Takumi and his daughter Hana, who live in Mizubiki Village, close to Tokyo. Like generations before them, they live a modest life according to the cycles and order of nature,” reads the synopsis. “One day, the village inhabitants become aware of a plan to build a glamping site near Takumi’s house, offering city residents a comfortable escape to nature. When two representatives of the glamping company arrive in the village to hold a meeting, it becomes clear that the project will have a negative impact on the local water supply, causing unrest. The company’s plans endanger both the ecological balance of the area, and the local people’s way of life, and its aftermath affects Takumi’s life deeply.”

Evil Does Not Exist is written and directed by Hamaguchi, with Satoshi Takata producing. It serves as Hamaguchi’s follow-up to his widely acclaimed 2021 movie Drive My Car, which won an Oscar for Best International Feature Film. The upcoming drama stars Hitoshi Omika, Ryo Nishikawa, Ryuji Kosaka, and Ayaka Shibutani. The film also reunites Hamaguchi with composer Ishibashi Eiko, who previously worked on Drive My Car.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
New Evil Dead Movie Gets Writer-Director, Sami Rami Issues Statement
Forum | 1 day ago

New Evil Dead Movie Gets Writer-Director, Sami Rami Issues Statement

Calabasas: Netflix Nabs Rights to Teen Series From Kim Kardashian & Emma Roberts
Forum | 5 days ago

Calabasas: Netflix Nabs Rights to Teen Series From Kim Kardashian & Emma Roberts

NDLEA Nabs Three Wanted Kingpins, Intercepts Oman-Bound Drug Consignment
Forum | 6 days ago

NDLEA Nabs Three Wanted Kingpins, Intercepts Oman-Bound Drug Consignment

Drama As Lagos Nabs 10 Fake Enforcement Officials
Forum | 1 week ago

Drama As Lagos Nabs 10 Fake Enforcement Officials