Ousmane Dembele explains decision to join PSG from Barcelona

Forum 8 months ago

Ousmane Dembele explains decision to join PSG from Barcelona

Ousmane Dembele has cited Luis Enrique as a key reason why he decided to leave Barcelona for Paris Saint-Germain this summer.

Having entered the final year of his contract at Camp Nou and been unwilling to agree new terms, Dembele was allowed to leave Barcelona this summer to join Paris Saint-Germain.

The France international put pen to paper on a five-year deal at PSG, making his return to Ligue 1 for the first time since he left Rennes for Borussia Dortmund in 2016.

Dembele made his debut for his new club at the weekend in a 1-1 draw with Toulouse, coming off the bench and impressing in a 40-minute cameo in the second half.

Speaking to the Ligue 1 website after his debut, Dembele gave an insight into why he made the move to the Parc des Princes.

"I want to win trophies! To make the supporters and the city proud. It's exciting and I hope we'll do great things. I need to be ready and to do well from the off. I can't wait. I hope I'll soon win a first trophy with PSG," he said.

"It's vital for a footballer to have the coach's [Luis Enrique] trust. I talked to the president [Nasser al-Khelaifi] as well, and the sporting director [Luis Campos], and I like the project they have here. I like the coach's playing style. We know that Luis Enrique likes attacking, possession-based football. That suits me perfectly."

"As a Frenchman who grew up in Evreux, near Paris, I've always talked about PSG, and I decided it's the right moment to come to Paris and to play here in my homeland."

Dembele will be hoping to make his first start for his new club on Saturday 26 August when PSG face off against Lens, last season's runners-up and nearest title rivals, in Ligue 1.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Pulse Cast: Happy Death Day Star & More Join Netflix’s First Medical Drama
Forum | 2 days ago

Pulse Cast: Happy Death Day Star & More Join Netflix’s First Medical Drama

Stolen Girl: Kate Beckinsale, Scott Eastwood, & More Join Thriller Movie
Forum | 3 days ago

Stolen Girl: Kate Beckinsale, Scott Eastwood, & More Join Thriller Movie

Under the Stars Cast: Toni Collette, Andy Garcia & More Join Rom-Com Movie
Forum | 4 days ago

Under the Stars Cast: Toni Collette, Andy Garcia & More Join Rom-Com Movie