Wonka Director Reveals Why He Chose Hugh Grant to Play an Oompa Loompa

Forum 7 months ago

Wonka Director Reveals Why He Chose Hugh Grant to Play an Oompa Loompa

In a recent interview with Total Film, Wonka director Paul King opened up about Hugh Grant’s unexpected casting as an Oompa Loompa, confirming that he asked the Golden Globe winner to portray the iconic Roald Dahl character through an “awkward letter.” King explained the reason why he believes that Grant is perfect for the role, revealing that he found quite a few similarities between the British actor and the Oompa Loompa from the Dahl’s books.

“I was enchanted by the idea of these impossibly tiny beings, far smaller even than the child-sized me,” King said. “The voice and the attitude of the Oompa Loompa came from revisiting the books – long songs full of humor, sarcasm, superiority and scorn. So it was really just thinking about that character – someone who can be a real shit. And I went, ‘Ah, Hugh [Grant]!’ Because he’s the funniest, most sarcastic shit that I’ve ever met!”

In addition, King confirmed that even though Grant’s Oompa Loompa was digitally brought to life by Framestore, he was still on set during filming in order to rehearse lines with Timothée Chalamet. This way, they were able to establish the fun chemistry between their characters.

Who’s involved in Wonka Movie?

Based on the character created by Dahl, Wonka will focus on a young Willy Wonka and his adventures prior to opening the world’s most famous chocolate factory. The prequel will be led by Chalamet as a young version of the eccentric Chocolate Factory owner. The character was previously portrayed by Gene Wilder in the iconic 1971 film as well as Johnny Depp in the hit 2005 version.

Joining Chalamet are Grant, Rowan Atkinson, Matthew Baynton, Jim Carter, Olivia Colman, Tom Davis, Simon Farnaby, Rich Fulcher, Sally Hawkins, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, Paterson Joseph, Keegan-Michael Key, Calah Lane, Matt Lucas, Colin O’Brien, Natasha Rothwell, Rakhee Thakrar, and Ellie White.

Wonka is directed by Paddington filmmaker Paul King from a screenplay he co-wrote with Simon Farnaby. Producers include David Heyman, Luke Kelly, and Alexandra Derbyshire.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel
Forum | 1 day ago

Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel

Actress Tolulope Onamade Reveals How She Was Nearly Used for Rituals After Joining Friends for Hook-up
Forum | 1 day ago

Actress Tolulope Onamade Reveals How She Was Nearly Used for Rituals After Joining Friends for Hook-up

Davido Reveals Huge Amount He Made From His Sold Out Concert at Madison Square Concert
Forum | 1 day ago

Davido Reveals Huge Amount He Made From His Sold Out Concert at Madison Square Concert

Erigga Reveals How to Detect a Street Wife
Forum | 1 day ago

Erigga Reveals How to Detect a Street Wife