Luca Guadagnino’s Lord of the Flies Remake Will Be a ‘Psychological Horror’ Movie

Forum 6 months ago

Luca Guadagnino’s Lord of the Flies Remake Will Be a ‘Psychological Horror’ Movie

Luca Guadagnino’s upcoming Lord of the Flies remake will lean heavily into “psychological horror,” says producer Lindsey Anderson Beer.

Speaking to Collider, Beer teased what Guadagnino has in store for viewers with his upcoming Lord of the Flies remake.

“It leans so much into psychological horror and it’s so rich in character drama, as you would expect from somebody like [Guadagnino],” Beer said. “But it’s scary. It gives you so much unease reading it, and I think it taps into a more current version of it than we’ve seen before.”

Guadagnino’s Lord of the Flies will be ‘fresh’ and ‘refreshing’

Beer continued, “I think some people have tried to tackle that property in a way that doesn’t really resonate to now, and I think that the whole approach has been very fresh and refreshing.”

Based on the iconic 1954 novel of the same name by William Golding, Guadagnino’s Lord of the Flies was announced in July 2019. News surrounding the project has been relatively quiet since then, though it was announced in 2020 that A Monster Calls and Chaos Walking scribe Patrick Ness is writing the screenplay.

Lord of the Flies has had three straightforward film adaptations so far; although, the story has inspired numerous film and television titles over the years, including Showtime’s Yellowjackets and 2018’s Ladyworld. Peter Brook directed a Lord of the Flies movie in 1963, as did Harry Hook in 1990. Lupita A. Concio, meanwhile, adapted the story into a 1975 film called Alkitrang Dugo.

Guadagnino is known for directing 2015’s A Bigger Splash, 2017’s Call Me by Your Name, 2018’s Suspiria remake, and 2022’s Bones and All. His latest film, Challengers, stars Zendaya, Josh O’Connor, and Mike Faist. The movie was originally intended to be released on September 15, 2024; however, it was delayed until April 2024 due to the actors strike. He’s also directing a period piece called Queer starring Daniel Craig, Drew Starkey, Lesley Manville, and Jason Schwartzman.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
The Wedding Banquet: Lily Gladstone, Bowen Yang Cast in Remake of Ang Lee Movie
Forum | 1 day ago

The Wedding Banquet: Lily Gladstone, Bowen Yang Cast in Remake of Ang Lee Movie

The Exorcism Trailer Teases Terrifying Russell Crowe Horror Movie
Forum | 1 day ago

The Exorcism Trailer Teases Terrifying Russell Crowe Horror Movie

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Theatrical Rerelease Dates Set for 2024 Return
Forum | 1 day ago

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Theatrical Rerelease Dates Set for 2024 Return