Dr. Death’s Mandy Moore on Why She Couldn’t Say No to Peacock Series

Forum 4 months ago

Dr. Death’s Mandy Moore on Why She Couldn’t Say No to Peacock Series

Mandy Moore returns to television in Dr. Death Season 2, her first starring role since the conclusion of This Is Us. Dr. Death, a series about cases over medical malpractice, is a far cry from the heartwarming family dynamics of This Is Us. As Moore revealed to EW, the actress could not pass up the opportunity to do something different.

“The opportunity came into my world right before they started shooting,” Moore said. “I had a six-week-old baby, and I remember thinking like, okay, the shoot’s in New York imminently. It’s probably not going to be the right thing. I wasn’t even thinking about working yet, and then I read the first two scripts and was like, dang it, I can’t say no to this. It just was so juicy and something I’d never done before, and tonally was just so different and just a real left turn from what I had done for six seasons [on This Is Us]. So I was like, yeah, fun. Limited series, New York, moving the whole family. Let’s do it. I’m in.”

Moore was looking for a role completely different from Rebecca Pearson, the loving matriarch on This Is. She eventually found it after reading the role of investigative journalist Benita Alexander in Dr. Death.

“I didn’t know what it was until I read it,” Moore on searching for a new role post This Is Us. “It was hard to distill down, well, I would love to do something like this. It was like, well, I don’t know. I guess I’ll know when I see it? And then I read these first couple of scripts and was like, this is fun.”

What to Expect in Dr. Death?

Based on the Wondery podcast, Dr. Death is a true crime anthology series about horrific acts of malpractice carried out by medical professionals. Season 1 of the Peacock series focused on Christopher Duntsch, an American neurosurgeon who mutilated his patients. Season 2 follows Paolo Macchiarini, the manipulative Swiss-Italian surgeon convicted of scientific misconduct.

“In Season 2, Paolo Macchiarini is a charming surgeon, renowned for his innovative operations that earn him the nickname ‘Miracle Man,’” reads the synopsis. “When investigative journalist Benita Alexander approaches him for a story, the line between personal and professional begins to blur, changing her life forever. As she learns how far Paolo will go to protect his secrets, a group of doctors halfway across the world makes shocking discoveries of their own that call everything about the ‘Miracle Man’ into question.”

Dr. Death Season 2 stars Édgar Ramírez in the lead role of Paolo Macchiarini, with Moore playing Benita Alexander. The ensemble features Luke Kirby, Ashley Madekwe, and Gustaf Hammarsten.

Ashley Michel Hoban serves as Dr. Death Season 2’s showrunner, writer, and executive producer. Additional executive producers include Patrick Macmanus, Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal, Steve Tisch, Taylor Latham, Aaron Hart, Hernan Lopez, Jennifer Morison, Marshall Lewy, and Linda Gase. Morrison directs the first four episodes, and Laura Belsey helms the final four episodes.

Stream all eight episodes of Dr. Death Season 2 on December 21 on Peacock.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Action Trailer Previews Peacock Docuseries About Stunt Performers
Forum | 1 day ago

Action Trailer Previews Peacock Docuseries About Stunt Performers

Rapper Sentenced to Death for Supporting Anti-Hijab Protest
Forum | 1 day ago

Rapper Sentenced to Death for Supporting Anti-Hijab Protest

You Can’t Stand Beside Me And Say Something Negative About Davido - Sabinus
Forum | 1 day ago

You Can’t Stand Beside Me And Say Something Negative About Davido - Sabinus

It
Forum | 1 day ago

It's Difficult To Say RIP - Zubby Michael Posts Junior Pope On Instagram After He Was Dragged For Not Mourning