Poolman: Vertical Nabs US Rights to Chris Pine’s Directorial Debut

Forum 4 months ago

Poolman: Vertical Nabs US Rights to Chris Pine’s Directorial Debut

According to Deadline, Vertical has officially acquired the North American distribution rights to Chris Pine‘s upcoming feature directorial debut Poolman.

“I am thrilled to collaborate with Vertical in sharing Poolman with US audiences.” Pine said in a statement. “The film was born from my own feelings of being painfully awkward as I was growing up. With Poolman, I tried to reimagine my experience with as much imagination, joy and compassion as I could; giving Darren a journey where he could be a hero because of his sensitivity not despite it.”

This comes after the film had made its world premiere at the 2023 Toronto International Film Festival, where it received negative reviews based on early reactions from critics. It currently holds a Tomatometer rating of 24% on Rotten Tomatoes.

What to expect in the Poolman?

“The film centers around Darren Barrenman, a hapless dreamer and would-be philosopher who spends his days looking after the pool of the Tahitian Tiki apartment block in sunny Los Angeles and crashing city council meetings with his neighbors Jack and Diane,” reads the synopsis. “When Barrenman uncovers the greatest water heist in LA history since Chinatown, he makes uneasy alliances with a beautiful and connected femme fatale while following every lead he can with corrupt city officials, burned-out Hollywood types, and mysterious benefactors – all in the name of protecting his precious Los Angeles.”

Poolman is directed by Chris Pine from a screenplay he co-wrote with Ian Gotler. The film stars Pine, Annette Bening, Danny DeVito, Ariana DeBose, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and DeWanda Wise. Pine and Gotler are producing through their Barry Linen Motion Pictures banner, along with Stacey Sher and Patty Jenkins.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: They’ll be too good – Chris Sutton predicts Chelsea vs Aston Villa
Forum | 22 hours ago

EPL: They’ll be too good – Chris Sutton predicts Chelsea vs Aston Villa

Double Booked: Adam Scott Sets Directorial Debut With Star-Filled Cast
Forum | 1 day ago

Double Booked: Adam Scott Sets Directorial Debut With Star-Filled Cast

The Thursday Murder Club: Netflix Acquires Rights to Mystery Movie Adaptation
Forum | 1 day ago

The Thursday Murder Club: Netflix Acquires Rights to Mystery Movie Adaptation