Alien: Romulus Received ‘Completely Different’ Notes From James Cameron & Ridley Scott

Forum 1 month ago

Alien: Romulus Received ‘Completely Different’ Notes From James Cameron & Ridley Scott

Director Fede Álvarez recently opened up about receiving notes from two legendary figures in the Alien franchise.

Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, Álvarez revealed that both Ridley Scott and James Cameron — who directed Alien and its sequel, Aliens, respectively — had both seen Alien: Romulus, and loved it.

“He did! As intimidating as it is, that’s the best part of being able to work on something like this,” said Álvarez on meeting with Scott. “For all of us and whatever it is that we do, the dream is to sit down with the masters of our craft and have a conversation about what we do and learn how to do it better. And the process of making this film definitely gave me that experience with Ridley.

“At the story level, we first told him what I was planning to do, and then when he read it, I discussed the script with him. And later, when he watched the movie, I discussed my cut with him. So I consider each one of those moments and creative conversations with Ridley to be a highlight of my career and my life.”

Álvarez says Cameron also loved his take on the Alien franchise

Álvarez also spoke briefly about his interaction with Cameron, who he said also loved Romulus, but gives completely different notes than Scott.

“James Cameron is also someone I’ve met through the years, and when he learned that I was doing it, we started chatting about it,” Álvarez said. “So I also had that conversation with him at the script level. He’s now seen the movie and loved it. It’s also fascinating because [Cameron and Scott’s] notes and comments are completely different. (Laughs.) They wouldn’t repeat a note. Whatever Ridley said, Cameron said something different. They were all super smart comments, notes and thoughts on the film and the filmmaking, et cetera, but both of them have completely different approaches. So the fantastic part of being able to make this film is to have the chance to work with them.”

Alien: Romulus will be the fourth film directed by Fede Álvarez. It’s from a screenplay he co-wrote with Rodo Sayagues based on characters made by Dan O’Bannon and Ronald Shusett. The film’s cast includes Cailee Spaeny (Priscilla), David Jonsson (Agatha Christie’s Murder is Easy), Archie Renaux (Shadow and Bone), Isabela Merced (The Last of Us), Spike Fearn (Aftersun), Aileen Wu. Alien and Prometheus director/creator Ridley Scott is producing alongside Michael Pruss and Walter Hill.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Double Booked: Adam Scott Sets Directorial Debut With Star-Filled Cast
Forum | 1 day ago

Double Booked: Adam Scott Sets Directorial Debut With Star-Filled Cast

Avatar 3 Teaser Image Revealed by James Cameron
Forum | 1 day ago

Avatar 3 Teaser Image Revealed by James Cameron

Classic Okoli Weeps After Sharing Insensitive Message She Received For Escaping Boat Accident
Forum | 2 days ago

Classic Okoli Weeps After Sharing Insensitive Message She Received For Escaping Boat Accident

Stolen Girl: Kate Beckinsale, Scott Eastwood, & More Join Thriller Movie
Forum | 3 days ago

Stolen Girl: Kate Beckinsale, Scott Eastwood, & More Join Thriller Movie