Anne Hathaway Credits Christopher Nolan for Career Rebound After ‘Toxic’ 2013

Forum 1 month ago

Anne Hathaway Credits Christopher Nolan for Career Rebound After ‘Toxic’ 2013

Anne Hathaway praised director Christopher Nolan for casting her in 2014’s Interstellar, a move that Hathaway notes may have saved the momentum of her career.

In a recent cover story interview with Vanity Fair, Hathaway discussed her career 10 years ago when, after winning an Oscar for her role in Les Miserables, Hathaway began experiencing backlash and hate from fans. Dubbed “Hathahate” at the time, the actress revealed that she couldn’t get many roles due to the toxic following, but Nolan did not care about any of that.

“A lot of people wouldn’t give me roles because they were so concerned about how toxic my identity had become online,” said Hathaway. “I had an angel in Christopher Nolan, who did not care about that and gave me one of the most beautiful roles I’ve had in one of the best films that I’ve been a part of.”

“I don’t know if he knew that he was backing me at the time, but it had that effect,” Hathaway continued. “And my career did not lose momentum the way it could have if he hadn’t backed me.”

Hathaway made sure not to close down following humiliating times

Hathaway also opened up more about that time of her career, namely the humiliation that she felt. The actress said that the key for her was to not let it shut her down and that, as an actor, you’re often spending time as a sort of tightrope walker.

“Humiliation is such a rough thing to go through,” said Hathaway. “The key is to not let it close you down. You have to stay bold, and it can be hard because you’re like, ‘If I stay safe, if I hug the middle, if I don’t draw too much attention to myself, it won’t hurt.’ But if you want to do that, don’t be an actor. You’re a tightrope walker. You’re a daredevil. You’re asking people to invest their time and their money and their attention and their care into you. So you have to give them something worth all of those things. And if it’s not costing you anything, what are you really offering?”

Up next for Hathaway are starring roles in the upcoming Mothers’ Instinct alongside Jessica Chastain as well as the romantic comedy film The Idea of You, which is set to release on Prime Video on May 2, 2024.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Anne Hathaway Opens up About ‘Gross’ Early 2000s Chemistry Tests
Forum | 3 days ago

Anne Hathaway Opens up About ‘Gross’ Early 2000s Chemistry Tests

EPL: Brilliant signing – Redknapp backs Chelsea star to have good career at Stamford Bridge
Forum | 5 days ago

EPL: Brilliant signing – Redknapp backs Chelsea star to have good career at Stamford Bridge

Biography & Career Of Hank Kuehne
Forum | 1 week ago

Biography & Career Of Hank Kuehne

Age & Career Of Jack Stratton
Forum | 1 week ago

Age & Career Of Jack Stratton