Mary: Anthony Hopkins Is Playing King Herod in New Biblical Epic, Details Revealed

Forum 2 weeks ago

Mary: Anthony Hopkins Is Playing King Herod in New Biblical Epic, Details Revealed

Anthony Hopkins is playing King Herod in Mary, a new biblical epic that recently wrapped production.

Per Deadline, Hopkins joins Noa Cohen in Mary, a film directed by D. J. Caruso. Caruso previously made 2007’s Disturbia, 2008’s Eagle Eye, 2011’s I Am Number Four, and 2017’s xXx: Return of Xander Cage, among other titles.

“In the coming-of-age story Mary, the title character is shunned following the otherworldly conception of her child and forced into hiding,” Deadline’s description of the plot reads. “King Herod’s relentless drive to maintain power at any cost ignites the murderous pursuit of the newborn child that he believes is a threat to his reign on the throne. The film sees the young Mary and Joseph on the run and having to hide their baby, Jesus, at all costs.”

What else do we know about Mary?

Timothy Michael Hayes wrote the screenplay for Mary. According to Deadline, Hayes consulted with “priests, bishops, baptist pastors, rabbis, Mormons, Muslims, biblical scholars, and theologians” while working on the project.

Along with Hopkins and Cohen, who is playing the titular character, Mary stars Mila Harris as Young Mary, Ido Tako as Joseph, Stephanie Nur as Salome, Susan Brown as Anna the Prophetess, Ori Pfeffer as Joachim, Hilla Vidor as Anne, and Gudmundur Thorvaldsson as Marcellus.

Dudley O’Shaughnessy, Eamon Farren, Mili Avital, Milo Djurovic, Charley Boon, Kelsie Lewis, and Jade Croot are all playing undisclosed roles.

“At this time of my life, I’m drawn to the challenge of complex scripts,” Hopkins said of the film. “As well, the level of the detail given to this production with extraordinary sets, props, and costumes — makes me proud to be a part of this.”

Caruso added, “I want to give the world a portrayal of the real human Mary. Her story has a lesser-known beginning; it is profoundly worthy of being told. Portraying her from birth through childhood and presenting her as a human being with apprehensions and fears will be a celebration of everything inspiring and gut-wrenching about her journey.”

Mary is produced by Mary Aloe, Hannah Leader, Gillian Hormel, and Joshua Harris. A release date for the film has not yet been set.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Mufasa Cast Adds Mads Mikkelsen, Blue Ivy Carter, and More to Lion King Prequel
Forum | 2 hours ago

Mufasa Cast Adds Mads Mikkelsen, Blue Ivy Carter, and More to Lion King Prequel

Mufasa: The Lion King Trailer Previews Disney’s Prequel Movie
Forum | 2 hours ago

Mufasa: The Lion King Trailer Previews Disney’s Prequel Movie

Gospel Singer, Moses Bliss Gift Artist New Cars
Forum | 4 hours ago

Gospel Singer, Moses Bliss Gift Artist New Cars