Will Smith Shares How Steven Spielberg Persuaded Him to do Men in Black

Forum 8 months ago

Will Smith Shares How Steven Spielberg Persuaded Him to do Men in Black

Will Smith is undeniably one of the biggest movie stars of the last 30 years. After starring in Bad Boys and Independence Day in the mid-’90s, Smith headlined Men in Black, one of his most memorable roles. However, Smith was not interested in Men in Black until a meeting with Steven Spielberg changed his mind.

How Did Steven Spielberg Persuade Will Smith to Star in Men in Black?

While speaking with Kevin Hart on Peacock’s Hart to Heart, Smith explained his hesitancy surrounding Men in Black, his second straight film about extraterrestrials.

I kinda understood Men in Black like a little bit, but I didn’t want to make Men in Black — that was the next year after Independence Day,” Smith said. “So I didn’t want to make two alien movies back to back.”

Why did Smith change his mind? One word: Spielberg.

“Steven Spielberg sent a helicopter for me. I was in New York” Smith said. “To talk. It landed at his house. And he had me at ‘Hello.'”

After laughing about how he had lemonade with carbonated water for the first time, Smith recalled “the coldest s***” mentioned by Spielberg, a producer on the film.

“He [Spielberg] said, ‘Tell me why you don’t want to make my movie….'” Smith added. “He put the ellipses at the end. If he had continued, he would have said, ‘Joker, you know I made Jaws, right? You know I made E.T.‘”

Thanks to Spielberg, Smith went on to star in Men in Black, which grossed nearly $600 million worldwide and spawned two sequels.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Moana 2: Dwayne Johnson Shares BTS Images, Teases ‘New Journeys’
Forum | 10 hours ago

Moana 2: Dwayne Johnson Shares BTS Images, Teases ‘New Journeys’

Photo Of Two Men Who Were Nabbed For Kidnapping, Robbery Of Female Pastor In Edo
Forum | 19 hours ago

Photo Of Two Men Who Were Nabbed For Kidnapping, Robbery Of Female Pastor In Edo

Spyro Shares Adorable Photos Of His Twin Sister
Forum | 23 hours ago

Spyro Shares Adorable Photos Of His Twin Sister

Nicki DaBarbie Shares Test Result, Outcome Leaves Many Shocked
Forum | 1 day ago

Nicki DaBarbie Shares Test Result, Outcome Leaves Many Shocked