Sydney Sweeney Was ‘Freaking Out,’ Rushed to Comic Store When Cast in Madame Web

Forum 8 months ago

Sydney Sweeney Was ‘Freaking Out,’ Rushed to Comic Store When Cast in Madame Web

Sydney Sweeney is set to star in the upcoming Sony Pictures film Madame Web, a role that excited Sweeney so much she ran out to the comic store immediately after getting it.

Speaking to Variety, Sweeney briefly touched on her upcoming portrayal of Julia Carpenter (who becomes Spider-Woman in the comics) in the film. Sweeney revealed that she was so pleased about getting the role that she began “freaking out,” and immediately tried to find any comics that mentioned Carpenter.

“I was freaking out, of course,” Sweeney said. “I went straight to the comic store, and I bought every comic that mentioned my character.”

Sweeney also teased that the film will be “different from what people expect a superhero movie to be,” which also lines up with comments from producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura, who said earlier this year that the film wouldn’t be “an action picture, but more of a thriller.”

Who else is in Madame Web?

Sony’s Madame Web is being led by Dakota Johnson as the titular Spider-Man character. Joining Johnson are Sweeney (Euphoria), Celeste O’Connor (Ghostbusters: Afterlife), Isabela Merced (Transformers: The Last Knight), and Emma Roberts (American Horror Story), along with Golden Globe nominee Tahar Rahim, Mike Epps (The Upshaws), and Adam Scott (Severance).

Madame Web is being directed by S.J. Clarkson (Jessica Jones) from a screenplay written by Morbius scribes Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless. Further details about the plot are still under wraps, but the film is rumored to be set before the birth of Peter Parker.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Karen Gillan and Zoë Chao Cast in New Comedy From Black Adam Writer, Let’s Have Kids!
Forum | 2 days ago

Karen Gillan and Zoë Chao Cast in New Comedy From Black Adam Writer, Let’s Have Kids!

Mufasa Cast Adds Mads Mikkelsen, Blue Ivy Carter, and More to Lion King Prequel
Forum | 3 days ago

Mufasa Cast Adds Mads Mikkelsen, Blue Ivy Carter, and More to Lion King Prequel

Sydney Sweeney & Glen Powell ‘Leaned Into’ Affair Rumors To Promote Movie
Forum | 6 days ago

Sydney Sweeney & Glen Powell ‘Leaned Into’ Affair Rumors To Promote Movie

The Wedding Banquet: Lily Gladstone, Bowen Yang Cast in Remake of Ang Lee Movie
Forum | 6 days ago

The Wedding Banquet: Lily Gladstone, Bowen Yang Cast in Remake of Ang Lee Movie